Monday, October 29, 2012

Preparing for the holidays

As I heard Pete Allen share from his heart Sunday I couldn't help but think I want this holiday season to be different this year.  I want it be more meaningful.  I must admit I can get caught up in the spend & send mentality oh so easy.  Or I can think-up a million things to do - parties, craft, decorations..this year I keep thinking I'll have all of Miriam's soccer team (20 girls) over to make crafts, eat cookies, and have a grand ole time.  I think I must be going crazy..my plate is full..my eyes are bigger than my stomach and my heart is breaking over it.  Is this going to make our holidays more meaningful?

I need to set a goal and check my intentions, thoughts, events, purchases, etc...to the goal.  I am an engineer remember - this will be my hypothesis.

GOAL: To make my families (& church) holiday season focused on thanks and praise for the many blessing God bestows on us.

November starts Thursday - I better get started.  I'm asking for your help - let's brainstorm together.  I'm looking for ideas to prepare my family and our churches hearts for Thanksgiving.

One idea I have had is do something special or out of the ordinary for one of my family members - a different  person each day.  For example - Elijah is learning to become more independent so he is washing his own clothes.  Today I think I'll go into his room, find his biggest pile of dirty clothes (blue jeans I think) and wash them for him - I'm also going to add a bible verse about thankfulness on top of the clean clothes.

What are your ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Your blog concerning "Preparing for the Holidays" gave me much food for thought. In the spirit of confession, for too many years Christmas was too much about me and what I wanted rather than about Him and what He gave. I am so thankful that by the grace of God I am in a better place spiritually. My prayer is that my grandchildren will open their eyes to the true meaning of Christmas sooner than I did.

    Carolyn E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Carolyn and your desires can be good things like family - Do you have some ideas about practical things you want to do with the grandchildren? My sister in law has the children bake a birthday cake for Jesus the evening of Christmas eve.

    ReplyDelete