Monday, November 26, 2012

What's so special about Jesus?

I loved Doug's sermon yesterday.  It made me stop and think what will I tell my grand kids (when I have some) or another person....What's so special about Jesus?  I can think of lots of biblical answers but that's not what really moves people closer to God.  They want to hear why is He so special to you and to me.  How has Jesus personally affected your life and why is it that we want to know Him all the more?  I was also intrigued by the thought that we would all have different answers and probably those answers would change as we grow and experience life.

So I'm going to start and then I challenge you to do the same:

As I prayed for my mom before, during and after her heart surgery - Jesus gave me a peace I can't explain but I'm going to try.  I think it is like when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego wouldn't bow down to the statue and their punishment was death by fire.  In Daniel 3 starting at the 16th verse they say:

“King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

I knew in my heart God is totally capable of saving my mom but He gave me a peace before hand that if He chose not to save her it would be ok - He would deliver her.  He chose to deliver her through the fire - she has survived open heart surgery and her recovery is amazing.  But I was at peace had He decided to deliver her by the fire to His heavenly home.

That's why today Jesus is so special to me...he can grant peace that this world cannot - just like John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Now it is your turn.........What's so special about Jesus?

click the comment link below and a box should open up, if you don't have a blogger account that's ok just select anonymous.

3 comments:

  1. Jesus is special because he grants us Hope.
    Without Jesus I, and perhaps others, wouldn't feel that there is hope in the world we live in. Knowing what he did for me and for the world gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus is special because he is always our comfort. Whether providing it through tribulations, or sharing it through triumphs, Jesus is always there for me, and that is always comforting. GIGATT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know God sent Jesus to hold my hand a little over a year ago when I was telling my son Chris that I would see him later and that he should tell his brother that I love them and always will. I just knew I was dying. Won't go into detail but the nurse in the emergency room looked over and said Ms. Hummel, you are not dying. She could just said anything & it wouldn't have mannered. I never felt such peace in my life, and was not afraid. I also remember when I was told my husband was going to dye and I was praying so loudly on the balcony at St. Davis Island, in St. Pete, Fl and I begged God not to take him as I needed him. Soon after a revelation came to me that caused me to think about The Lord's Prayer, and it was then I thought about the line "Thy Will Be Done", and then prayed to God again and told him that I realized that I was being selfish, I wanted him. I then started praying saying to God that I realized that I was praying in the wrong way. I then cried as I prayed The Lord's prayer and put my trust in him. Only he knew what was to come later on, not me. I would not have wanted my husband to be a vegetable for the rest of his life, he would have been miserable. God knows best and I truly get it now. I also lean on him during day by day and have since I was a little girl about 11 years old. Just know him better by the day and I share his love whenever I can. "Worry ends where Faith begins". P.S. I love the lines to the country song "I have people on both sides". Told Chris I knew he and David would be fine as he held my hand and Jesus had the other.

    ReplyDelete