Wednesday, November 14, 2012

When Crisis Hits

So I haven't had a chance to finish up the Holy Habits piece but I will another day.

Isn't it just like God to allow us to grow in our faith.  I must admit sometimes the growing part isn't too comfortable or enjoyable.  I like the classroom variety of growth - bible study - especially with some of my closest friends.  But my ways are definitely not God's ways - His ways are so much higher - (thank-you Lord - Isaiah 55:8-9).

Last week WBS - studied the hard question "God are you fair?" I had one of those light bulb moments with a scripture...James 1:2-3...."Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."  What does this have to do with being treated fair you might ask.  I'll try and condense 5 days of study - God does not treat us fairly concerning sin - my sin - I deserve punishment - punishment to death eternally.  But because He loves me - He saves me from my sin. Straight from Jennifer Rothchild:

"My friend, if what we really deserve is hell, then anything else God gives us or spares us from on this side of eternity is a privilege - even suffering." pg. 44, Missing Pieces.

AH HA - I get it - I get Jame 1:2 - moments like this -when God's word jumps off the page and into my heart are what I imagine heaven will be like...being at Jesus's feet listening to Him teach - AWESOME.

Then Monday happens - God decides it is time for a field trip - suffering, crisis, trials.  My mom's cardiologist decides it is time to have bypass surgery; stints are no longer working.  I'm safe and secure knowing my God can handle all things and I'm willing to let Him do it.  Tuesday comes and goes and I'm still doing fine - getting everything ready for my family as I will be absent from them to be with my mom.  Wednesday  - today - Satan is starting to work on me.  I'm having a harder time listening to music, I don't want to talk about it any more, I find myself weeping...

Consider it pure joy?! I know it in my head, and I even had it in the classroom - but this field trip stuff is hard.  I surely don't have you figured out God - which is the point.  Paul struggles with this when he asks God to remove the thorn in his flesh and comes to the realization that God's grace is sufficient. 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Consider it pure joy that my mom is having triple bypass surgery? Yes even more so as the tears cover my face - my God's grace is sufficient, may Christ's power rest on me in my weakness.

3 comments:

  1. We love you Cynthia and we will be praying for you and your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris - I really believe this is part of the grace He provides wonderful friends and a wonderful church

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your entire family...I love you!

    ReplyDelete