Friday, February 26, 2016

Lent Day 15 - Luke 19


Being a children's director I had to pick a kids themed picture today. After all the story of Zacchaeus is one every child learns in Sunday School. I'll bet you just hummed that old familiar tune:

Zacchaeus was a a wee little man a wee little man was he
He climbed up in the sycamore tree for the Lord he wanted to see
And as the Lord came passing by, he looked up in the tree
And said Zacchaeus you come down
For I'm going to your house today
For I'm going to your house today.

That is the main plot to the story of Zacchaeus. The part that really touched me today is the crowds reaction. Luke 19: 5-7

When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.
All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”
Why do we mutter? Why do we subconsciously think we know more than God? You might be saying oh Cynthia I don't think I know more than God. Yes consciously I can say God knows best. And I pray often to Him...your ways are higher than my ways; your thoughts are not my thoughts; Lord your will be done. But (uh oh a but), let me tell you what would be perfect...could you do these things on my heart, and while you do it could you make sure it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. And No big rush let's say next Friday would be terrific.

Ouch

Let's get back to muttering...do you mutter? I mutter, when I shouldn't about too many different things. Soccer, teachers, friends, waiters, people's appearances, cleaning my house... Let's call it was it is - we are complaining that someone isn't doing  or something isn't going the way we think it should. We have predetermined what is best and the situation or person isn't living up to the level we have set. Yep we are judging; but not only that we are judging so we can either influence others or hurt the person we are muttering about.  I know I'm spoiling the fun great story of Zacchaeus. But this just glared out at me today. Cynthia shut your mouth says the Lord with all kindness and love.

Ouch Ouch

The great part of this story is while the Lord is giving me a rebuke (maybe you too), he tells us don't despair.  Zacchaeus changes - salvation came to his house.  Verse 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.  Praise God He is still seeking me when I mess up. He still loving calls me. He still desires relationship. He still calls me His. That's the thing about reading the Bible, I find stuff I'm doing all wrong; but there is my Savior calling me to try again. This time try in His strength not my own. Seek His face, look to glorify Him not myself. Make His name known!!

If you don't know Zacchaeus - he repents, and he repents in a big way. He gives half his possessions to the poor, and promises to repay anyone he cheated four times the amount. You guessed it Zacchaeus was a tax collector. (You are now a trained professional able to teach children's Sunday school)

Praise the name of the risen Savior - Jesus is the almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment