Saturday, February 27, 2016

Lent Day 16 - Luke 20-21

A few days ago I could have written on every story in the chapter.  Not today - nothing just jumps out at me.  The very first verses remind me of what God was telling me yesterday - so let's camp put there today.  Luke 20:1-8

One day as Jesus was teaching the people in the temple courts and proclaiming the good news, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him. 2 “Tell us by what authority you are doing these things,” they said. “Who gave you this authority?”

3 He replied, “I will also ask you a question. Tell me: 4 John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or of human origin?”

5 They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Why didn’t you believe him?’ 6 But if we say, ‘Of human origin,’ all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet.”

7 So they answered, “We don’t know where it was from.”

8 Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”

I don't know about you - but when I'm getting ready to have an uncomfortable conversation with someone - I do exactly like these chief priest and teachers.  I think in my head ... if I say this than they will say that .... or I could say that and they would reply this.... But it never goes exactly like that in my head - usually the person says something I'm not expecting.  It didn't work out for the chief priests and the teachers either.  I don't recommend this method.

Who gave Jesus this authority?  If you have been reading all my blogs than you know the answer - Our Heavenly Father.  We know that!!  So why when we know that don't we always obey it?  Little doubt who the holy one is in this case - Our God.  No doubt who has the best plan for us - Our God.  No doubt who we should obey - Our God.  Yet, some how we let a nagging little voice whisper into our ears - you are giving up control.  Did God really say that?

Oh what story did you just think of?  The serpent and Eve - the forbidden fruit.  Come on Eve don't listen to that ole evil snake.  Yet we do the exact same thing.  Why do we chose our own way over God's way?  This is a theme in the whole Bible.  If we would just surrender to the authority of God - our lives would be so much better.  We aren't the first to do this and we won't be the last.  He tells us in Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Something in our humanness we want to chose our way, make our own plans, do it ourselves.  Surrendering sounds weak and fragile.  I don't know about you put surrendering my will is extremely hard - it takes enormous strength and courage.  So how do we surrender to God's authority - pray more, pray often, pray without ceasing.  Did I mention we need to PRAY.  We can't do this in our own strength.  We must call upon the Lord.  My flesh is weak help me oh Lord.  Your will over my life - not my own.

I bet the chief priests and the teachers didn't expect Jesus' answer - I'm not telling.  Come on they knew - sure they knew.  They were expecting and hoping he would say from my father - Yahweh.  They wanted to get in him a bind - trick him up - so they could trap into leaving or kill him.

The remaining chapters of Luke are what we probably all think about when we say Lent - the last days of Jesus life.  Lets prepare for the betrayal, death and resurrection of Jesus our savior.  Read up Luke 22-24.  See you Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment