Friday, February 19, 2016

Lent Day 9 - Luke 10 & 11




Luke 10 & 11 - I've picked just a few scriptures from Luke 10: 17-21.  Jesus has sent out 72 followers to go into the towns before him.  They went in pairs - Jesus gave them instructions where to stay, what to eat, what to say, and to heal the sick.  These verses are the report back after being in the mission field.

17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

21 At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

Returned with joy!!  Can't you picture it, they came running up to Jesus, Lord, Lord, Lord wait till we tell you what has happened. When we say Jesus the demons jump.  They are so full.  Success in the mission field does this to your soul.  How does Jesus respond - of course they did - I have given you authority to ..... But he reminds them this world is not the prize.  Keep your eyes focused on eternity.  Rejoice instead that your names are written in heaven.  Well we don't read that everyday - you are saved and your name is written in heaven.  Isn't that a common struggle - am I really saved?  I feel far from God, I'm in the wilderness, barren place - does He know me?  Do I need to rededicate my life?  I don't struggle with these questions any more - but once upon a time - I would have given anything to hear this word from Jesus.  Rejoice that your name is written in heaven.

Listen to this today - Do you believe Jesus is the Son of the most high God?  Do you believe He died on the cross and took all your past, present, and future sins with him?  Do you believe that God raised him from the dead?  Do you believe the only way to heaven is to ask Jesus to come into your heart, to thank him for taking your sin, your punishment, your pain? YES YES YES YES

REJOICE - your name is written in heaven

Than verse 21 we see the son of God full of joy proclaim "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,"  Do you think he raised His hands?  Looked towards heaven?  Smiling? Did He speak with a loud voice?  "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,"  How much more should we praise our Father!  He goes on to say he has revealed all this to children instead of the wise and it pleases God.

I am lucky enough to always know Jesus.  I was raised by godly parents who took me to church, Sunday school and vacation bible school.  There has not been a time I didn't know my Lord.  I don't have a date I accepted Him as savior.  In all this time I've never doubted the truth of the Bible.  Child like faith - foundations of truth - seeing Him moving in my life.  I feel certain this is why I have a deep passion  for children.  I want them to know Jesus and never doubt Jesus loves them.

Oh Praise you Father in heaven!!





No comments:

Post a Comment