Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Lent Day 6 - Luke 7

   

Why are the first 10 verses of Luke 7 always the story we talk about?  The Faith of the Centurion.  What about the story right after that one.  The grieving widow with the dead son.

Luke 7: 11-17
Jesus Raises a Widow’s Son
11 Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. 12 As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. 13 When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don’t cry.”
14 Then he went up and touched the bier they were carrying him on, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!” 15 The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.
16 They were all filled with awe and praised God. “A great prophet has appeared among us,” they said. “God has come to help his people.” 17 This news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding country.
What I like best about this story is Jesus' heart is moved - "His heart went out to her."  I can relate, and I'm sure you can too.  There are so many people out there hurting.  We might know them, we might not; but we hear their story, or we see their condition and our hearts go out to them.  Don't cry - simple little words.  We don't know anything about this woman, except she is all alone -her husband and only child are dead.  This woman is miserable with grief.  We don't know if she knows who Jesus is, we don't know what kind of faith she has.  That isn't important - Jesus is moved to act and help her.  
How many times do people in your circles reach out in need?  I'll use Facebook as an example - friends from church will post a prayer concern.  People comment all the time prayers sent.  How many times do we really take the time and pray for that need and the situation.  Do we replace personal contact of visits and telephone calls with likes and comments on Facebook? Oh I think Facebook has a neat purpose and easy way to get information out - but it should never replace personal connection with those people that "Our heart goes out to."  
Nothing is more powerful than praying over someone in need.  I've written about this before - we have become a society afraid to pray out loud.  But that simple act shows your faith, and gives comfort to a hurting person, and we call upon the power of the Lord.  This is our best resource - I can do what Jesus did - I haven't brought anyone back from the dead yet.  I have prayed over countless people in need.  One day while I was at the hospital for a test, a lady was alone and upset talking to herself.  My heart went out to her and I starting talking with her.  She told me why she was there and that she was scared.  I asked her if I could pray for her.  In that waiting room (it was a big full one), I prayed out loud over this woman.  It was a transformation - her expression changed, her body relaxed, her situation wasn't driving her any more, she found peace.  I stayed with her until she was called back - we never even exchanged names.  Lord, please give us the courage to reach out to those in need.
And yes - the main theme of this lent for me is here too verse 16 they praised God.  May my lips sing of His praise all the day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment