Thursday, February 18, 2016

Lent Day 8 - Luke 9

Image result for Listen

Luke 9: 28-36 Transfiguration

28 About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. 29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. 30 Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. 31 They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. 32 Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. 33 As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, “Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” (He did not know what he was saying.)

34 While he was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. 35 A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.” 36 When the voice had spoken, they found that Jesus was alone. The disciples kept this to themselves and did not tell anyone at that time what they had seen.

I bet you can guess what part I'm going to talk about :) - Peter.  This story is one we should all know - the on earth moment when 3 ordinary guys get to see Jesus in his splendor - His holy self.  I can't tell you anything more special about this story than has been told hundreds of times.  But I can relate to Peter.  He is a motor mouth - any thought and he speaks it.  You know he must love twitter - bet he said oh snap more than once.

What did Peter say that was so wrong?  Wouldn't it be a good thing to build shelters for these godly men?  For God?  I won't debate that aspect - but I will say - just because we think something is a good idea (and maybe it is) it doesn't mean it falls into God's plan.  God doesn't fuss at Peter - He comes down in a cloud and speaks to him.  How awesome is that - you aren't right Peter but I'm here with you.  He says This is my son, whom I have chosen - why did God says that?  We know from verses 18- 20 in this same chapter that Peter has no doubts who Jesus is - Jesus is asking them who do people say I am? And he asks who do you say I am, Peter says "God's Messiah."  This is one of Peter's strengths - he knows who Jesus is all the way down into his marrow.  So why did God say This is my son?  I think to get Peter's attention, alter his focus.  You do know who this is right Peter?  Of course he does!  LISTEN to HIM .... what God doesn't say is he won't lead you astray.  He will tell you everything you need to know and what to do.  Just LISTEN to HIM.

Listen to Him - that sounds so easy - why is it so hard?  Why don't we listen to Jesus?  Why do we have a thought and still speak it out without bathing it in prayer.  Its a good thing - but it might not be God's plan - His plan is best not just good.  I can get so caught up in doing a lesson, reading a scripture, preparing for teaching, singing, (all good things) that I don't listen.  I'm so busy doing God's work I can forget to stop and worship and listen to God.

I don't just want good - I want best.  When will I learn to pray more, seek more, ask more, and LISTEN to HIM?  Ok God today I'm going to have a good day - help me tomorrow when my flesh is weak and this lesson you are teaching me has left my memory.  Give me ears to hear, a heart to change, and spirit willing to do what you ask.  I praise you Lord!!  Continue this work in me - help me be your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment