Monday, February 29, 2016

Lent Day 17 - Luke 22

So much happens to Jesus in chapter 22. Peter cries out to me today. Let's take at look.

Luke 22:54-62

54 Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. 55 And when some there had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. 56 A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, “This man was with him.”

57 But he denied it. “Woman, I don’t know him,” he said.

58 A little later someone else saw him and said, “You also are one of them.”

“Man, I am not!” Peter replied.

59 About an hour later another asserted, “Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean.”

60 Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” 62 And he went outside and wept bitterly.

Have you had one of those times when you were so sure of yourself.  Man I've got this - nothing is going to change me on that topic.  I have - more than once.  Just 30 verses earlier Peter says - what are you talking about Jesus - I am ready to die for you.  We are in this thing together.  I'm not leaving you - no way, no how.  Wow I sure wish Peter and Jesus were playing basketball like in the picture.

Time to get serious - Jesus best buddy - closest one - the rock - denies him.  Not once but three times.  And not only that Jesus warns him - Peter get ready this is what will happen.  What gets me in this story isn't that Peter fails and denies Jesus.  It's that Jesus looks at Peter - can you imagine?  They both knew it was going to happen - but they are both hurting.  What do you think that moment when they caught eyes was like?  Have you ever disappointed someone so much that it hurt to even look at them? This is not what heaven is like.  (Sunday I told the kids during service that in heaven there is no sadness, no tears, no worries).  I imagine this is what hell is like.  

Their eyes meet - Peter remembers - it breaks him.  He runs away.  He wept bitterly.  This is an emotion he can't control.  I've been there too - I think women cry easier than men - so this had to be really bad.  I'll bet he had the nose running, uncontrollable crying.  How about Jesus - what is he thinking at this moment?  Well knowing God's character he isn't too worried about his own fate - he is hurting for Peter.  Our God is like that you know.  Even when we get cocky and think we know whats best and that we can handle it, and we clearly can't; our God is there to help us pick up the pieces.  Surely Jesus was grieving for Peter.

Peter, James and John are Jesus' go to disciples. They get to go places, see things, and learn from Jesus the others don't.  Peter confesses with great faith - you are the Christ. Peter even gets to walk on water with Jesus (for alittle bit). How can Peter deny him? Where am I going with this? Good christians can make poor choices. They can do things that we would never have imagined in a million years. Just like Peter.

How do we respond? It's believed John was the only other disciple present. Do you think he gathered the others and said "I've got a prayer request for Peter...it happen just like Jesus said it would."  How do we respond when one of our rocks does the unimaginable?  Talk about them? Pray for them? Confront them? Rebuke them? Show mercy?

Sometimes we can let and God allows Satan to shift us like wheat. Remember that the next time a Godly person blows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment