Monday, March 7, 2016

Lent Day 23 - Acts 5

After the Holy Spirit came down our weak minded disciples have turned over a new leaf.  They are preaching with authority, performing miracles, and fear has vanished.  Let's look at the first story in Acts 5: 1-11

Ananias and Sapphira
5 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”

“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”

10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

What I find so amazing in this story is that Peter knows they are lying from the Holy Spirit.  He doesn't ask around - he doesn't try to trap them.  He just knows.  I struggle so much knowing what I'm suppose to do.  Does this sound familiar to you - is that my desire or is the Holy Spirit leading me?  I pray often for wisdom and discernment.  Peter just knows.  And it isn't something about himself - it is someone else.  I haven't a clue what that would be like.  I'm so consumed with me and mine that I certainly can miss the Lord's leading regarding others.

Now, I know this happens all the time.  Take yesterday for example.  On my way to church I was praying to God about a certain situation in my life.  I got to church early to finish up some things for the children and I was in the sanctuary.  Our pianist came in and he was practicing his offertory piece.  I wasn't paying any attention I was concentrated on getting my tasks done.  During the worship service he started to play and sing during the offertory.  It was like God was singing into my soul - answering my prayer.  After the service I went up and told the pianist this story and asked him - how did you come to pick that piece.  He told me he was having trouble picking something and came in and decided to play this song and he got goose bumps while playing it.  So he decided it must be meant for someone.

God works that way in my life - not always that quickly.  I'm thankful a servant of God was faithful to the Holy Spirits leading.  Ananias and Sapphira were not so blessed by the Holy Spirits leading - instant death for lying.  For me the key is not to focus on my trials, disappointments, and tribulations but to focus my heart on God.  My God is bigger than my circumstance.  When we lose sight of Him than we are surely lost and defeated.  We have a God who pursues us - thankfully - I totally missed Him the first time yesterday.

Lord grant us  hearts that can sense the Holy Spirits leading; and a willingness to follow.  What a blessing we can be in others lives if we just focus on you and love you with all our being.  Praise the name of JESUS.

1 comment: