Thursday, March 17, 2016

Lent Day 32 - Acts 16



My household has Netflix and a few days ago I noticed The Passion of the Christ was available.  I've never seen the entire movie.  When it first came out my children were too young to watch it, so it was late at night and yes I would fall asleep during it.  Well the last two days I thought - you know I need to watch this movie - it is perfect timing.  Started at night on the ipad - fell asleep - oh by the way I usually go to bed early.  So yesterday afternoon - this is it I'm watching the whole thing.  When I got to the part where the soldiers beat Jesus I started to weep.  What a horrific beating - I had to turn it off.  I tried one more time  and when they unchained his one arm to turn him over to beat his front side - that was all I could take.  I've decided I'm not watching any more.

What does this have to do with Acts 16?  This is the story of Paul and Silas in jail.  But the scripture that just rang out to me were verses 22-23:

The crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas, and the magistrates ordered them to be stripped and beaten with rods. 23 After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully.

stripped, beaten with rods, severely flogged

I read those words and I see in my head the vision from the movie my Lord and Savior being beaten. I believe the ugly parts of the bible aren't talked about or are changed to be treasured children's stories.  Look at Noah's Ark - we decorate baby's nurseries with this theme - oh and by the way God destroyed every living thing on the earth that wasn't in the ark.  The list goes on - David and Goliath; Daniel and the lions den; Esther; Jesus' final days on earth; the persecuted church. We need to take in all the story - the good and the bad.

There is so much good in this story - verse 25:    About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them

What is the power of praise?  I think it is the ability to seek and acknowledge that our God is bigger than any problem we have.  Being thankful for every second we are here on this earth.  James 1:2-4:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

I keep thinking Jesus suffered so much for me my problems can not compare.  I should be singing and praying and praising my savior.  Oh what's that song - all the day long - Blessed Assurance.  We have the promises that no matter what we face today and in the future our God will be there.  He can handle it if we'll let him.

What better way to end:

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine;
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

I hope you sang through the song - praising the Lord - I did

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Cynthia. Praise instead of complain or worry. Needed the scriptural reminder again today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete