Saturday, March 26, 2016

Lent Day 40 - Acts 28



Our last day of lent has finally come.  I hope you have enjoyed my thoughts and confessions about our Lord, Jesus Christ.  Acts 28 starts out with a bang - we left Paul shipwrecked yesterday - today he is saved by the locals of Malta.  He gets bitten by a snake and they all think he must be an evil murderer.  Paul throws the snake in the fire and has no ill effects from the bite - the locals now think he is a god.  They go and stay with the chief official of the island and Paul heals the officials sick father.  The news spreads and Paul heals everyone sick on the island.  This brings great joy and relations so the people help them get a ship and supplies to continue their journey to Rome and they finally arrive in one piece.

It is the end of the chapter where God is leading me today.  Paul gets the Jewish leaders in Rome to come talk with him, tell them why he is there and they in turn want to hear about Paul's beliefs in this new sect.  Let's pick up at Acts 28: 23-28

23 They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus. 24 Some were convinced by what he said, but others would not believe. 25 They disagreed among themselves and began to leave after Paul had made this final statement: “The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your ancestors when he said through Isaiah the prophet:

26 “‘Go to this people and say,
“You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.”
27 For this people’s heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.’
28 “Therefore I want you to know that God’s salvation has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will listen!” 

Not much has changed has it?  We can witness about Jesus telling our friends, family, neighbors, and strangers and some will be convinced and others will chose not to believe.  Our job is to put the seed out - to tell others about Jesus.  The Holy Spirit does the rest.  I have learned over these 40 days of study - I'm called to tell, to talk about Jesus more.  I love that last line cause I'm a Gentile - this is for us too!

I have also learned praise Him, praise Him, praise Him not because I received a blessing or because I need his help - but because He is worthy.  It isn't about how I feel or what I'm thinking -  it is a doing.  Sorrow, tears and weeping can come with praising Him.  Last night at our Good Friday service the music and message was so powerful and moving that I was praising my savior with tears down my cheeks.  I don't deserve his mercy and grace - but he DESERVES my praise.  I can't think of a better way to end than singing this hymn of praise.

Thank you for following me on this journey.

"I Know that My Redeemer Lives"
by Samuel Medley, 1738-1799

I know that my Redeemer lives;
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, He lives, who once was dead;
He lives, my ever-living Head.

He lives triumphant from the grave,
He lives eternally to save,
He lives all-glorious in the sky,
He lives exalted there on high.

He lives to bless me with His love,
He lives to plead for me above.
He lives my hungry soul to feed,
He lives to help in time of need.

He lives to grant me rich supply,
He lives to guide me with His eye,
He lives to comfort me when faint,
He lives to hear my soul's complaint.

He lives to silence all my fears,
He lives to wipe away my tears
He lives to calm my troubled heart,
He lives all blessings to impart.

He lives, my kind, wise, heavenly Friend,
He lives and loves me to the end;
He lives, and while He lives, I'll sing;
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.

He lives and grants me daily breath;
He lives, and I shall conquer death:
He lives my mansion to prepare;
He lives to bring me safely there.

He lives, all glory to His name!
He lives, my Jesus, still the same.
Oh, the sweet joy this sentence gives,
"I know that my Redeemer lives!"

The Lutheran Hymnal
Hymn #200 from
Text: Job 19:25-27
Author: Samuel Medley, 1775, ab.
Composer: John Hatton, 1793
Tune: "Duke Street"

No comments:

Post a Comment