Thursday, March 24, 2016

Lent Day 38 - Acts 25-26



Paul stands trial two more times in Acts 25 and 26.  First to Festus the governor and then to King Agrippa.  Why can't these guys make a decision?  They just keep passing Paul off to the next person.  It becomes clear the Jewish leaders have some influence on these guys because we see a couple different places they don't think Paul is guilty of anything deserving death and that he should be set free but we see they want to do the Jews a favor.  So they keep Paul under arrest.

Acts 26: 24-28
At this point Festus interrupted Paul’s defense. “You are out of your mind, Paul!” he shouted. “Your great learning is driving you insane.”

25 “I am not insane, most excellent Festus,” Paul replied. “What I am saying is true and reasonable. 26 The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner. 27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do.”

28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”

Have you ever been Festus or King Agrippa where you thought ... you know that person over there has gone off the deep end.  This religion thing has just gotten weird.  I feel certain some people have thought that about me. In today's lingo I'm a certified "Jesus Freak."  I can imagine Paul got so excited when he talked about Jesus and shared his faith.  It must have gotten lively since Festus shouts at Paul - you are out of your mind!  What an opportunity for Paul to tell these important men about Jesus.

It's King Agrippa's reply that gets me.  Paul obviously has first hand knowledge about Agrippa's knowledge of the events of Jesus Christ death and resurrection.  It's a plea - "King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets?  I know you do."  In my mind I see Paul with his eyes as big as saucers - just looking at Agrippa with his hands open pointing to him, reaching out to him, saying in his head - come on believe this truth.  And then the bottom falls out - persuade me already - I don't think so.  Paul's shoulders just dropped a little and his arms went to his side.  Well that's how I would respond.

Haven't we become a society that knows no patience.  We want immediate responses to phone calls, emails, and goodness gracious if you don't reply to a text message immediately.  We hate to wait in lines; I won't wait for more than 10 - 15 minutes for a table at a restaurant.  Do you ever get annoyed when your internet lags?  We have become a people who hate to wait.  I think this can spill into our witness.  When we are on fire for Jesus and start telling our friends and family and they don't get excited we can become annoyed, impatient and even just give up.

I like to think about it this way - as our faith and knowledge about Jesus grows we can easily forget that others just can't understand at that level without the Holy Spirit.  A nonbeliever is like trying to teach a child multiplication without teaching them how to add first.  It takes time, patience, love and prayer.  Be consistent, listen, dependable and most of all loving and gentle.

I don't know if any of us will get the opportunity Paul had but we will have the opportunity to share the good news about Jesus.  I'm so glad He never gives up on me!!

It's Maundy Thursday - The Last Supper


No comments:

Post a Comment