Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Lent Day 37 - Acts 23-24

It's Holy Week - Lent is almost over and I have missed 2 days so far.  I find it hard to stay on Acts when this is the week we remember our Lord's death and resurrection.  But I will do my best to share what God is putting on my heart over these 2 chapters in Acts.  

Acts 23:1-3
Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, “My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.” 2 At this the high priest Ananias ordered those standing near Paul to strike him on the mouth. 3 Then Paul said to him, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!”

Paul has been arrested, and is on trial in front of the Sanhedrin; and we see he differs from Jesus' style.  Paul tells it like it is, calls it like he sees it.  I told you some time ago that the children at church are also studying the book of Acts.  I have been preparing this week for the Easter lesson - thinking surely we are going to go back to the book of Luke to tell the Easter story (which we do).  But in this lesson there are a series of questions the teacher is suppose to read as a narrative because the children can't understand them or answer them. So I'm going to share them with you - this is from Lifeway's Explore the Bible on Location, Spring 2016, Session 4:

"How could this be happening? The One the disciples believed to be the Messiah was dying on a cross.  They had seen Jesus work great miracles.  Why didn't He do something?  Why didn't He speak up?  Men were saying lies about Him!  Why didn't He overthrow the Romans?  The disciples had seen His power and believed He could.  Jesus' followers probably watched with their hearts pounding.  Would they be the next to die?"

Some people might disagree with me but hear me out.  Paul acts nothing like Jesus in a similar situation.  At the end of chapter 23 we find that 40 men aren't going to eat until they successfully kill Paul and they formulate a plan to do it.  We are always saying WWJD - What Would Jesus Do.  And we look in the bible and try to find a situation that matches ours and we try to mimic Jesus.  Jesus says nothing, he doesn't accuse, and he doesn't defend himself.  Paul does just the opposite.

You might be saying Cynthia you are way out there right now - just hold on.  I told you the children can't understand or answer these questions - but if I ask them they will give the right answer.  Jesus is doing what God told him to do.  It was God's plan for Jesus to die and save us.  And I will say - oh you are so right!!  He loves us so much.  Now let's look at Paul - isn't he doing the same thing?  He is being obedient to God?  And we know this from verse 11 which is quoted so often:  11 But the following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome.”

How did Paul know what to do?  He prayed and praised and studied.  He spent time in God's presence.  He could decipher his own thoughts from the Holy Spirits guidance.  When was the last time you longed for God's presence?  Have you ever felt like you were in His presence?  When you pray or praise or study do you prepare or just dive in and get it done as quickly as you can?  Look I do both.  There are days I feel so busy that I just throw in my bible time, and prayer time as fast as I can - check that box off my to do list.  But when I slow down and prepare it is totally different.  What does that look like for me.  I play praise music, listen to a couple songs, and then I start saying aloud truths about Jesus:

King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Creator, Savior, Holy One, Lamb of God, Bright and Morning Star, Alpha and Omega, etc.

I say as many as I can think of - I acknowledge who Jesus is and what he means to me.  And without fail I start to feel it.  I feel it on my skin with goose pumps, in the air that he is right there with me.  I understand the scripture better, I pray lighter and freer, and my praise time is amazing.  What I find disheartening is that I don't do this every day.  How can that be?  Why do I allow this world's worries and busyness cheat me out of Longing for God's presence?

He is teaching me so much along this Lent Challenge.  Thank you for joining me - 3 days left

No comments:

Post a Comment