Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Lent Day 31 - Acts 15


Can you read this cartoon?  Did the disagreement of Paul and Barnabas go something like this at the end of Acts 15?

Acts 15:36-41

Disagreement Between Paul and Barnabas
36 Some time later Paul said to Barnabas, “Let us go back and visit the believers in all the towns where we preached the word of the Lord and see how they are doing.” 37 Barnabas wanted to take John, also called Mark, with them, 38 but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work. 39 They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company. Barnabas took Mark and sailed for Cyprus, 40 but Paul chose Silas and left, commended by the believers to the grace of the Lord. 41 He went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.

Have you ever had a disagreement over ministry in your church?  I certainly have.  As a woman I tend to get more emotional than I like when I'm upset over something I care deeply about.  I haven't heard too many men argue before but I've always assumed most of the time it doesn't involve much emotion.  Sorry men - if I have misrepresented you :).  Remember Barnabas was the disciple that stood up for Saul (the christian killer) transformed to Paul the evangelist when no one else would.  Here in Acts 15 I did some digging in almost every translation the word sharp is used to describe the dispute between these two men.  From HELPS Word-studies Strong's Concordance defines "sharp" in the Greek as:

paroxusmos: stimulation, provocation
Original Word: παροξυσμός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: paroxusmos
Phonetic Spelling: (par-ox-oos-mos')
Short Definition: incitement, irritation
Definition: stimulation, provocation, irritation, angry dispute.
Cognate: 3948 paroksysmós – a provocation which literally jabs (cuts) someone so they "must" respond. See 3947 (paraxynomai).

Oh my have your words ever jabbed someone so much that it cuts them?  I must admit I have.  And I always feel badly afterwards.  Sometimes I've said things that I didn't even realized were sharp to someone else.  I'm telling on myself here maybe I talk too much.  What is that scripture in proverbs when words are many sin is not far behind.  The Living translation says: Proverbs 10:19 Don’t talk so much. You keep putting your foot in your mouth. Be sensible and turn off the flow!

My point in all this - we see in the bible every day people that have every day struggles just like us doing amazing things to further the kingdom of God.  We don't have to be perfect to do God's work.  We don't have to be pastors, teachers, elders, deacons.  We have to be WILLING.  Let's seek God together asking the Holy Spirit to gives us a kick in the pants to start doing and stop watching.  Our doing might be small to start - saying hello, helping people in a parking lot, acknowledging a blessing from God to others.  Yesterday I was out walking and because it was so nice people were out everywhere.  I stopped to talk to a man with a dog that had gotten away from him.  Before I left I said hasn't God blessed us with a beautiful day.  No I didn't ask him if he knew Jesus - I'm not there yet. But I'm willing and I'm seeking and I'm praying - Lord show me.

We are ordinary people that God is so ready to start using to further his kingdom - let's do this thing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment